Showing artistic genius at a young age, Karl Schmidt traveled from his native roots in New England to study art in London and paint the Brittany coast. He returned to Boston and resided there until his move to Santa Barbara in 1915. His paintings were displayed at the Panama Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco (1915) and subsequently exhibited at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Art Institute of Chicago, National Academy of Design, and the Cincinnati Museum of Art, among many other venues.
This painting was acquired from the Oakland Museum of Art’s holdings of the Karl Schmidt estate. Schmidt was a leading proponent of the Arts and Crafts movement.